Ross Sea Marine Park – level 3
Twenty-four countries and the EU agreed to create the world’s largest marine park in the Antarctic. The Ross Sea Marine Park will cover more than 12% of the Southern Ocean.
Fishing will now be banned completely across the 1.1 million square kilometres, which is very good news for all of the creatures who call this stretch of ocean home. Scientists and marine activists are describing this as a historic moment, calling it a major step forward for marine conservation globally.
A commission, including representatives from Russia, China, and the USA met in Tasmania and all of them joined together to celebrate their decision.
Difficult words: marine (sea), stretch (an area of water), conservation (protection, saving something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos