Running Red Lights – level 1
People sometimes run a red light. This is when they drive their car during the red light. This is dangerous. In 2017, 939 people in the USA die because of this. That is 28% more than in 2012.
In 35% of cases, the driver who runs the light dies. In more than 50% of cases, people in another car die. In 5% of cases, pedestrians and cyclists die.
An American organization says that people must be more careful. People can check if no one is running a red light. Pedestrians and cyclists can make eye contact with the drivers of the cars.
Difficult words: run a red light (drive instead of stopping), case (the situation when something happens), pedestrian (a person who is walking).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos