Russia attacks Ukraine – level 1
On Thursday, Russian soldiers attack Ukraine. World leaders don’t agree with the attack. They say that a war can start in Europe.
Russia attacks Ukrainian airports and big cities. Hundreds of thousands of people leave Ukraine. They are scared. They travel mainly to Poland and Slovakia. They get clothes and food there. Some people say that 5 million Ukrainians will leave the country.
Western countries must stop Russia. They impose sanctions on Russia. Sanctions hit Russia’s business. Some Russian banks can’t use international payment system. Planes don’t fly to and from Russia. The Russian president Vladimir Putin says that he is ready to use nuclear rockets.
Difficult words: airport (a place where planes take off and land), impose (to make something a rule by force), nuclear rocket (a rocket which is very dangerous, and it can kill many people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos