Russian Internet – level 1
The Internet is international. Most countries have international Internet. However, a country can have its own Internet. For example, China has its own Internet.
Russia wants to have its own Internet, too. President Vladimir Putin says ‘yes’ to new laws. With its own Internet, Russia does not need international servers.
Russia says that this is good for the Internet’s stability. It says that the Internet can be safer like this. Some people criticise this. They say that Russia is doing this to block free speech.
Difficult words: international (global, worldwide), its own Internet (Internet which is only for the people in a country), free speech (when the leaders of a country let people say what they think).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos