Russian Protestor – level 3
A Russian political performance artist set fire to a branch of France’s central bank in Paris. After pouring petrol on the building’s two windows and setting the building ablaze, he calmly stood in front of its main entrance, and did not pay attention to the police who were shouting at him. Eventually, they tackled him to the ground and arrested him.
In Russia, Pyotr Pavlensky is known for his outlandish political performances. In July 2012, he sewed up his lips to protest the arrest of feminist punk-rock group Pussy Riot. Then he wrapped himself up naked in a barbed wire cocoon in front of the legislative assembly in St Petersburg. He later made headlines in 2013 after he nailed his genitals to the cobbles of Moscow’s Red Square.
Police also jailed him for six months in his homeland when he set fire to the façade of a government building, and then he fled to France after the country granted him political asylum.
The bank in Paris suffered only minor damage to its exterior and it was closed for the day.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.