Russian soldiers at Ukrainian nuclear plant – level 2
In February, Russian soldiers tried to get control of the Chernobyl nuclear plant in Ukraine.
The soldiers stayed for weeks at the site, and they got into a dangerous area which was contaminated with radiation. People weren’t normally allowed to go there.
Officials said that there was a risk of an accident, but workers at the site tried to make the situation less serious. The plant was even without electricity for some time.
Last month, Russian soldiers left Chernobyl, as Russia focused on the fight in eastern Ukraine. They still control another nuclear plant in southern Ukraine.
Difficult words: nuclear plant (a plant which makes electricity from the smallest things called atoms), contaminated (unclean or polluted with a dangerous substance), radiation (a form of energy which people can’t see and is dangerous to all living things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.