Russian Statues – level 2
In Moscow, Russia, people presented the busts of past Soviet leaders, Joseph Stalin and Vladimir Lenin, who helped turn Russia into a communist country.
Stalin killed millions of Russians while he was leader. People had strong feelings about these new statues.
A government worker said that people should say what they feel, but history cannot be changed. One woman said that people should not remember Stalin, as he was cruel. A man said that it was good to remember history as both good and bad.
Difficult words: bust (the head and upper area of a statue), Soviet (relating to the Soviet Union), communist (‘opposite of capitalist’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos