Russian Statues – level 3
In Moscow, Russia, people unveiled the busts of past Soviet leaders, Joseph Stalin and Vladimir Lenin, who helped to create the USSR. They placed them next to other past Russian leaders, such as Mikhail Gorbachev and Tsar Nicolas II.
Stalin killed millions of Russians during the time that he led. People had mixed reactions about these new statues.
A Russian politician said that people should have their freedom of speech about these statues but ‘that history can’t be turned back’. One woman said that everyone knows the Stalin was a cruel man, and she does not feel that it is right to remember such people.
A man said that it was good to remember history as both good and bad with both the positive and negative parts. He said that history ‘happened and passed’.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.