Safer Facebook – level 1
In 2016, people in the USA choose their president. A lot of people use Facebook. They see political ads there. These ads influence people. People say that someone from Russia buys these ads.
This is a problem. Facebook does not want this to happen again. Workers make Facebook safer. Now you must be authorised to have a political ad on Facebook. People can get more information about the ads, too.
First the new, safer Facebook starts in the EU. Then it starts in India, Ukraine and Israel. The new Facebook will be in every country before July.
Difficult words: ad (a picture, text or video which shows you some information; for example, which leader to choose or which thing to buy), influence (when you influence somebody, you make them do something), authorise (check and give a license).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.