Safer Facebook – level 3
Facebook is expanding its fight against political misinformation to help countries prevent foreign interference in their elections.
The company wants to prevent another scandal like the one in 2016, when Russian-linked operations used Facebook to interfere in the U.S. presidential election.
Facebook will require advertisers to be authorised before buying political ads, give people more information about the ads and start a searchable public library. The new tools will first launch in the EU before the parliamentary elections, then in India, Ukraine and Israel. They will become available globally before July.
The company also set up regional operations centres in Dublin and in Singapore which will add extra ‘defence against fake news, hate speech and voter suppression’.
Difficult words: prevent (stop something from happening before it happens), interference (the act of interfering, manipulating, changing), launch (start).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos