Same-Sex Marriage in Taiwan – level 1
Taiwan is an Asian country that is different. It is very friendly to LGBT people. It lets them live how they want to live. It has a gay pride parade every year.
Now the leaders of Taiwan talk about making a new law. The new law will let same-sex marriage happen.
Some people are angry. They protest the new law. Thousands of people meet at the president’s office. Other people come, too. They want the new law. They show their support.
Difficult words: LGBT (people that say they are lesbian, or gay, or bisexual or transgender), same-sex marriage (when a man can marry another man or a woman can marry another woman), show support (show that you like something or someone).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.