Saving Endangered Turtles – level 3
At what people think is the biggest nesting site in the world, tens of thousands of green sea turtles come to lay eggs. The turtles swim to Raine Island in Australia, but rising sea levels mean that water is threatening the island.
Andy Dunstan with Queensland Parks and Wildlife explained that one sea turtle mum is laying a clutch of 100 eggs, but the water will probably flood the eggs during the next high tide, and they will not develop.
To create space and protect sea turtle eggs from flooding, people reshaped and raised 150 metres of the island’s beach with great results; however, saving the turtles is not cheap or easy. A public partnership is funding this effort at about 8 million Australian dollars over 5 years.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.