Saving Rhinos – level 2
People banned the international trade of rhino horn in 1977, but people still illegally hunt rhinos and trade their horns. Some vets in Africa are de-horning the animals to try to save them.
This is an exteme step but the WWF (an organisation which tries to help animals) says that de-horning is not dangerous for the rhinos.
Difficult words: horn (a hard thing which grows out of the rhino’s ‘nose’), ban (say that people must not do something), de-horn (remove the horns from an animal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos