Scientists Climb Mount Everest – level 2
A team of Chinese scientists climbed the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest. The scientists used satellites to measure the height of the mountain, and to check the mountain´s resources.
Scientists did other research, too. They focused on the weather and wind, and they checked how deep the snow was. The information that they got will help protect the mountains and monitor glaciers.
Mount Everest is in the Himalayas, the mountains in South Asia, and the border between China and Nepal runs across Mount Everest. Both countries accept the official height of Mount Everest, which is 29,029 feet.
Chinese scientists could be the only people who will get to the top of Mount Everest this year. China and Nepal canceled spring climbing season because of the coronavirus.
Difficult words: measure (to check the size or amount of something), resources (materials and things that people can use when they need to), monitor (to observe, to study), glacier (a big piece of ice that looks like a hill or a river, and it is slowly moves down a mountain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.