Scorpions at Charles de Gaulle Airport – level 3
It gives a whole new meaning to the term sting operation… Customs officers at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris have seized 115 live scorpions. They had travelled from Cameroon and were en route to the United States.
The arachnids were hidden in two separate shipments. The first shipment of 69 scorpions was discovered on the 18th of September, hidden underneath plastic boxes of centipedes.
The other 46 were found a few days later hidden in plastic cups.
The large scorpions are of the protected species Pandinus Dictator. Luckily for airport staff, their venom is quite mild and human fatalities are unknown.
They were declared as medical research samples, but did not come with the appropriate paperwork that makes it legal to keep and transport them. Authorities believe the scorpions were to be sold on the Internet as “animal companions”.
This was not an isolated incident. In 2014, French customs seized almost 14,000 live animals considered protected species.
Difficult words: sting operation (an operation designed to catch a criminal; a pun because a scorpion can sting you), customs (the place where your bags are checked when you travel abroad), seize (to take something officially), en route (on the way), arachnid (a type if animal like a spider), centipede (a small creature like a worm with a lot of very small legs), species (a kind of animal), staff (a group of people who work together somewhere), venom (poison), fatality (death), considered (which people consider/think about as).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.