Scottish referendum – level 2
The people of Scotland voted in a referendum on its independence. Many went to a square in Glasgow during the referendum.
The people were in a great mood in the early hours of Friday because the Glasgow region voted ‘yes’. Later, the atmosphere became worse, as it started to be clear that most Scots voted ‘no’.
Some people became angry and violent, and police arrested six people. The voting defeated the people at the square, but they were still proud to be Scottish.
Difficult words: referendum (when people vote on something and it can take effect very quickly), independence (an independent country is not part of a bigger country), violent (a violent person or animal hurts others and breaks things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the referendum's result?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.