Scrap Metal Soldier – level 2
An artist from England created a statue of a WWI soldier. The statue is six metres tall and made from scrap metal.
The statue is standing in a yard at the moment, but later this year, it will go on display. “The Haunting”, as the statue is called, was ordered by an unnamed client. He or she wanted to mark the centenary of the end of the Great War.
Difficult words: scrap metal (used metal), go on display (put something in a museum where people can see it), mark (celebrate, remind people of), centenary (100 years after an important event).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos