Security drill for terrorist attack – level 2
In Lyon, France, there are preparations for the Euro tournament, which lasts from June 10 to July 10. Leaders expect that up to 20,000 visitors will come to Lyon, and they want everyone to be ready for the possibility of a terrorist attack.
They hold drills to practice for attacks with volunteers playing gunmen and victims to understand what to do during attacks.
Some programmers also create an app to give information about actual or potential attacks in different parts of the city. Leaders hope that if the app works well, they can use it for natural disasters.
Difficult words: drill (when people practice how to do something before it happens), potential (possible), natural disaster (when nature causes something bad to happen, such as an earthquake, a flood, or a fire).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.