Security drill for terrorist attack – level 3
Running away from a masked gunman and dropping to the ground, these aren’t victims of a terrorist attack but volunteers in a security drill in Lyon.
As part of the launch of the security mobile app by French authorities, a full-sized drill was conducted to alert and prepare visitors to the Euros for an attack – should it happen. Just 2 days before the Euro tournament gets underway, the app which aims to inform and advise people on what to do if such an event occurs, was tested in the Lyon fan zone. The area is expected to bring in up to 20,000 people during the duration of the European Championship in France from June 10 to July 10.
The Interior Ministry app flashes a warning on a user’s mobile phone screen if there is an attack close to their location or suspicion of an imminent strike. Users can also request alerts for up to eight areas, including individual districts in the capital.
It will be tested for the duration of the tournament to evaluate its effectiveness. If successful, the use of the app could be extended to other major incidents, such as earthquakes and floods.
Difficult words: conduct (do something), alert (warn), imminent (happening soon), strike (an attack), district (one of the areas in a city), extend (use in new ways).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.