Self-driving cars in the streets – level 2
Google announced a year ago that it wanted to build self-driving cars. It said that the cars would not have steering wheels, accelerator pedals or brake pedals. They said that the cars would not need them.
This summer, Google is going to finally test the cars in the streets. However, the cars will still have steering wheels, accelerator pedals and brake pedals. These things are still important. Also, the speed of the cars will be limited to 40 kilometres per hour. People build the cars in Detroit, USA.
Difficult words: announce (to say something officially), steering wheel (the circle in a car which the driver holds), accelerator pedal (the thing on which you step to make your car go faster), brake pedals (the thing on which you step to make a car go slower or to make it stop).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that self-driving cars are the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos