Self-driving cars on US streets – level 1
Waymo is an American company. It makes self-driving cars. These cars don’t have no driver. Since 2016, Waymo’s cars drive on a US city’s streets. They drive as taxis.
People call a car. The car comes. It opens its doors. The person gets in. The car takes the person to whenever he needs to go. It is the first taxi service to use self-driving cars.
Waymo says that its cars make the roads safer. Many car accidents happen because of the driver’s mistake. Sometimes, the driver is tired or drunk. Sometimes the driver is too fast.
Self-driving cars don’t have these problems. Waymo’s cars already drive 32 million kilometers. They don’t cause serious accidents.
Difficult words: self-driving car (a car that drives itself with no driver), taxi (a car that takes a person somewhere for money), drunk (after you drink alcohol and you cannot do things or think well).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.