Self-driving cars on US streets – level 2
In 2016, American company Waymo started to test its autonomous or self-driving cars. The company said that these cars made roads safer.
Waymo’s cars drove over 32 million kilometers on the streets of Arizona, US, and over 30 billion kilometers in simulation. Autonomous cars were involved only in not very serious car accidents.
In the US, the number of car crashes and deaths increased in the past years, and often due to human error. Most deaths happened because the driver was drunk, tired, or drove too fast. A self-driving car does not cause these problems; therefore, Waymo believes that its cars make travel for people safer and easier.
Waymo is the first company to give taxi service with its cars. People call the Waymo car, it stops, opens the door, and it drives the person whenever he needs.
Difficult words: in simulation (to practice a situation to learn to do something in real life), involve (to have something or be part of something), human error (a person’s mistake).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos