Serbia Floods – level 1
In Europe, there are heavy rains. Some parts of Europe have big problems with floods. The worst situation is in Serbia and Herzegovina.
In 2014, big floods happen in both countries. Serbia and Herzegovina spend a lot of money. They build safer bridges. They make better riverbanks.
However, it does not help. Floods come again. In Serbia, 70 people must leave their homes. Rivers flood about 700 houses. Water takes some houses away. The houses crash into a bridge.
Landslides happen in Herzegovina. Serbian officials are afraid of landslides, too. Serbia is in an emergency situation. The country also has big problems with the coronavirus.
Difficult words: flood (when rivers have too much water, and the water gets into streets and houses), riverbank (the land on the sides of a river), landslide (when earth and rocks move down a hill), emergency (a serious situation when people can get hurt or die).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos