Serbia mass shootings – level 3
On Wednesday last week, eight children and a security guard were killed after a 14-year-old boy shot their classmates and teacher at a school in Serbia.
The killer used his father’s gun to open fire in an elementary school in the capital city of Belgrade and was detained right after the shooting. The school resumed the classes on Thursday and the Serbian government announced three days of mourning.
Just one day later, a gunman shot randomly at people during a drive-by attack near a village south of Belgrade. Some injured people were taken to hospital where they are receiving treatment and are in stable condition. The man suspected of killing at least eight people and injuring 14 has been arrested by police.
In Serbia, schools had been safe and gun crime rare. However, the two mass shootings have rocked Serbians’ long-held beliefs about their society. A 2018 survey suggested that Serbia had the third-highest rate of civilian gun ownership in the world, behind only Yemen and the United States.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures is the Serbian government taking to reduce gun violence in the wake of these shootings?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.