Serbia protests – level 3
Serbian police have detained 38 people involved in protests against the results of the December 17 elections, which international monitors deemed unfair.
The opposition group Serbia Against Violence has been protesting election fraud allegations, particularly in Belgrade. The governing populists were declared winners, leading to ongoing demonstrations. In one instance, protesters attempted to enter Belgrade city hall, resulting in clashes with riot police using teargas and batons. The opposition refuses to recognize the election results, urging the EU to investigate and calling for a new, fair election.
US Ambassador Christopher Hill denounced violence during the protests, emphasizing the importance of transparent and democratic processes. The Serbian president accused the west of encouraging opposition protests, with Russia supporting the government.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What has been the international response to the ongoing protests in Serbia against the election results?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.