Sewage cleaners’s job time – level 1
A pension is money from the government to people. These people do not work anymore. They must work for some years to get pension.
The French government plans to change the pension system. People will have to work longer to get a full pension. Some people are angry. They will take part in a national strike on January 19, 2023.
Sewage cleaners are very unhappy about the change. They work in sewage tunnels. They clean and fix the sewage system. The tunnels are full of feces and rats. Their work is very hard and dangerous. They do not want to work longer.
Difficult words: national strike (when many people in a country stop their work and protest in the streets), sewage (dirty water from homes and factories), feces (food waste which leaves the body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos