Shakespeare’s 400th anniversary – level 2
William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon on 23rd April, 1564 and he died on exactly the same day in 1616.
Thousands of people in his hometown took to the streets to celebrate the 400th anniversary of his death. People dressed as Shakespearean characters or wore the mask of Shakespeare’s face.
A jazz band from New Orleans played what’s known as a “New Orleans funeral”.
Difficult words: anniversary (the date when something happened years ago), character (a person in a play, book, or film).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.