Shakira trial – level 1
A Spanish judge wants to start a trial with Shakira. Shakira is a Colombian pop star singer. Her husband is a FC Barcelona player. They have two children together.
Everyone who lives in Spain more than 183 days in a year must pay taxes there. The judge says that Shakira lives in Spain for more than 200 days. It happens in the years 2012, 2013, and 2014.
The singer must pay 17 million dollars in taxes. Shakira’s lawyer says that Shakira officially lives in the Bahamas.
The judge has other evidence. Shakira and her financial advisor send Shakira’s money to tax havens. A tax haven is a country with low taxes. Companies also put money there. They pay lower taxes than in their own countries.
Difficult words: trial (when somebody must go to court), tax (the money which people pay to the government, and the government then uses the money for other things), evidence (facts which show that something happens), financial advisor (a person who helps you with money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos