Shanghai in lockdown – level 1
Shanghai is the biggest city in China. 25 million people live there. Shanghai is in lockdown now. The Huangpu River flows through Shanghai. The first part of the lockdown starts on the eastern bank of the river.
People must stay at home. Some people are surprised. They wake up. They see fences in the streets.
The second part of the lockdown starts on the western bank of the river. It is four days later. Streets are without people. Traffic stops.
More and more COVID-19 cases are in China. Officials want to stop the virus quickly. Some people agree with the lockdown. Some people are angry. They feel like if they are in prison.
Difficult words: lockdown (a situation when people cannot move freely, and they must stay in their homes), bank (the land along a river), fence (a barrier around someone’s house or a piece of land).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos