Shark attacks a surfer – level 3
An Australian surfer remarkably survived a shark attack unscathed after fighting off the circling predator with his fists.
Mick Fanning was preparing for Sunday’s final of the World Surfing League’s J-Bay Open, at Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa, when the unidentified species of shark surfaced next to him, knocking him off his board. But the three-time world surfing champion managed to escape after punching the shark away.
“I was just sitting there. I was just about to start moving and then I felt something grab, like got stuck in my leg, and I instantly just jumped like a lion and it just kept coming at my board, and I was kicking and screaming… Wow!”
“See some teeth? Get some teeth”
“I just saw the fins. I didn’t see the teeth. I was waiting for the teeth to come out there as I was swimming, and AHH!”
“Did you gett a couple punches in?”
“I punched it in the back, yes!”
The incident was broadcast on live television and led to the postponement of the event.
South Africa’s waters are among the most shark-infested in the world. A swimmer was killed by a Great White close to Jeffrey’s Bay in 2013.
Difficult words: remarkably (surprisingly), unscathed (not injured), species (animal kind), surface (to come up), grab (to hold strongly), fin (a part of a fish which it uses for swimming), postponement (to change the date or time of something to later).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.