Sheep and Faces – level 3
Researchers from Cambridge University trained eight female mountain sheep to identify the faces of Barack Obama, actress Emma Watson, actor Jake Gyllenhaal, and BBC newsreader Fiona Bruce.
The scientists showed the sheep pictures of people on two side-by-side computer screens. On one side would be a stranger and on the other would be one of the four celebrities. The ewes would receive a reward of food for choosing the photograph of the celebrity by breaking an infrared beam near the screen displaying it. If they chose the wrong person, a buzzer would sound and they would receive no reward. The animals eventually managed to identify the familiar face eight times out of every 10.
Professor Jenny Morton, who led the study, said in a statement, that the sheep have shown that they have advanced face-recognition abilities, comparable with those of humans and monkeys.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.