Shimon Peres is Dead – level 3
Former Israeli President Shimon Peres has died and he was part of almost every major development in Israel since the country’s founding in 1948. People named him a Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1994 for helping to arrange Israel and Palestine’s first interim peace accord, but the deal never turned into a lasting treaty and opinion on Peres will always remain divided.
Israelis are deeply saddened by the news, saying they have lost a statesman, a diplomat and a peacemaker. In direct contrast, many Palestinians blamed him for their suffering, and expressed gratitude for his death.
Some said that he has a lot of Palestinian blood on his hands from his crimes against the Palestinian nation and the Arab nations, as well. During his era, there was war with Egypt, Syria and Palestine, and the imposition of a siege on Gaza.
Difficult words: founding (a beginning), interim (short-term), accord (an official agreement to do something), treaty (an official agreement to have peace), imposition (imposing something – forcing something on somebody), siege (a blockade, an occupation).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.