Shooting in Munich – level 3
It was the third attack in Western Europe in 8 days. A gunman entered the Olympia Shopping Centre in Munich and went on a shooting rampage, killing 9 people and injuring a further 27.
In a press conference, police chief and officials announced their intensive research shows the gunman had no links to so-called Islamic State. But there are indications that he had been receiving psychiatric and medical care.
The shooter, who did not have a license to the gun, killed himself at the end of his attack. He was not known to police and had no criminal record. As part of the ongoing investigation, special police units raided an apartment in the early hours of the morning.
Witnesses of the attack describe the scene as a “bloodbath.” Emergency services reported they received over 4,000 emergency calls by midnight.
Difficult words: rampage (a violent act), link (a connection), raid (make a surprise visit to search for something illegal), bloodbath (a massacre).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos