Shrimp in China – level 2
There are plains in China where it rains very little. The plains usually get less than 40 millimetres a year. However, rain flooded the plains recently, and people discovered an unusual animal.
It is a kind of shrimp, and it is considered a living fossil. It is a species which is over 200 million years old, and it eats smaller animals. The shrimp lives only for 90 days, but its eggs can survive for 25 years. When there is water again, they hatch.
The shrimps are rare in China, but there is an area in California where they are numerous.
Difficult words: plain (large area of flat dry land), species (animal kind), hatch (leave the eggs), numerous (there are a lot of them).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like shrimp?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.