Shrine is destroyed – level 2
Islamic State militants control large portions of Iraq and Syria. The fighting is very bad in Syria, and it displaced around 420,000 Syrians. They have no food or medicine.
The Islamic State militants are trying to erase history. They recently blew up a 2,000 year-old UNESCO shrine in Palmyra, which is an old Syrian city.
Difficult words: militant (a fighter), displace (to make somebody leave), shrine (a holy building).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Islamic State?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.