Signal App – level 2
In 2009, Brian Acton and Jan Koum created a mobile app, WhatsApp. WhatsApp users could make free calls, video calls or send messages.
In 2014, Facebook bought WhatsApp for 22 billion dollars, and it wanted to make money from it. Facebook wanted to make money from companies and advertisers, but it was necessary to get some information about WhatsApp users. Acton did not like this, and in 2017, he resigned from his job in WhatsApp.
In 2018, Acton started a new company called Signal Messenger. It can do many similar things as WhatsApp, but it does not have problems with privacy. It is safe and nobody can read a message except the person who the message is for. Signal is becoming very popular and many WhatsApp users are starting to use Signal.
Difficult words: advertiser (a person or company which has a product and pays somebody who shows it to people and people buy it), resign (to end a job), privacy (when other people cannot know some information about somebody).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.