Sinkhole in Japan – level 2
In Japan, a big sinkhole opened up. It completely destroyed a five-lane intersection near a station. The mayor apologised for the sinkhole. He blamed it on the nearby construction of a subway.
The sinkhole started to fill up with sewage water. Engineers had to work quickly. One week later, the sinkhole was gone. Everything was back to normal.
Nearly 100 local businesses lost money because of the sinkhole, but Japan is going to compensate them before the end of the year.
Difficult words: blame on (to say that it is the fault of the construction), sewage water (waste water), compensate (give money to somebody for something bad that happened to him or her).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos