Sisters meet after 73 years – level 1
Linda Hoffman and Harriet Carter are sisters. Sadly, they do not know that they are sisters for 73 years.
Harriet is two years older than her sister Linda. Their parents give Harriet for adoption. It happens shortly after she is born. The parents are both 18 years old when it happens. They never tell anyone.
Harriet and Linda both visit a special website. This website helps people find their relatives. A medical test confirms that the two women are sisters.
Linda and Harriet first talk to each other two years ago. They cannot meet. They live in different US states. It is not possible to travel because of the coronavirus.
Then, the sisters meet last week. Harriet travels from Sacramento, California, to Denver, Colorado. They look at some old pictures. They are happy that they can be together.
Difficult words: adoption (when a person officially takes somebody’s child, and the child officially belongs to him from that moment), relative (a person who is in the same family), confirm (to say that something is true or correct).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.