Situation in Calais – level 2
We all know about the migrant crisis in the French port of Calais, but what do the people who live there make of the situation?
One man said that the situation is getting worse and worse. People are closing industry sites, ferry-workers are protesting, and migrants are trying to force through the Eurotunnel to England. This causes disruption in traffic.
Thousands of migrants are forcing French and UK politicians to find a solution. The two countries increased security at the Eurotunnel terminal in Calais.
Difficult words: disruption (problems), solution (if you find a solution to a problem, the problem goes away), increase (to make stronger, better).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the situation in Calais?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.