Situation in Hong Kong – level 2
In April, politicians introduced a law in Hong Kong that would let China extradite suspects from Hong Kong. This started months of anti-government protests in the city.
In June, more than a million people protested, and Carrie Lam, the leader of Hong Kong, suspended the law.
However, this did not stop the protests. People wanted her to withdraw the law, and this month she did.
Difficult words: extradite (to officially give a person of one country to the lawyers of another country), suspect (a person who may be a criminal), suspend (stop for some time), withdraw (stop completely).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.