Situation in Hong Kong – level 3
Back in April, politicians introduced a law which would allow China to extradite suspects from Hong Kong. The law started months of anti-government protests in the city.
After more than a million people turned out to march against the law in June, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam suspended the law. She said that the law would die in 2020, but that didn’t stop the protesters. People still wanted her to formally withdraw the law.
Now, Lam fully withdrew the law. However, nobody knows if the demonstrations will stop. Protesters are also calling for democratic reforms, and they want to know if the police hurt some of the demonstrators.
Difficult words: extradite (officially give a person of one country to the lawyers of another country), suspect (a person who maybe committed a crime), suspend (stop for some time), withdraw (completely stop).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.