Skirt of Elizabeth I – level 1
This news is from a small village. It is in England. The church in the village has a piece of cloth. People think that it is old.
Scientists study the cloth. They say that it belonged to Queen Elizabeth I. She was in power from 1558 to 1603.
The cloth was part of the queen’s skirt. It is Queen Elizabeth’s only piece of clothing that we have today.
Difficult words: cloth (a fabric, a textile, a material for clothes), belonged (past of “belong”; if something belongs to you, you have it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.