Sky lantern causes fire – level 3
A fire in Brazil burned for several days, caused by an illegal sky lantern.
More than 100 firefighters came to battle the flames, and six people were arrested in connection with the case. However, they were released on bail only hours later. By Sunday afternoon, the fire had burned across more than half of the Juquery State Park in the São Paulo region, and the fire rained ash on the city of São Paulo, 39 kilometers away.
São Paulo state officials list the balloons among the top three causes of forest fires each year; however, Brazilians keep sending the burning lanterns into the sky. Burning lanterns are punishable by fines or even prison. According to experts, the region is experiencing a dry winter that facilitated the fire’s spread.
Difficult words: in connection (to possibly be responsible for something), bail (money which someone pays to get a person out of jail), facilitate (to make it easy for something to happen).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos