Smacking in Britain – level 2
In Great Britain, parents must not injure their children, but they are allowed to give a mild smack when their children are bad.
A report by eighteen United Nations experts said that Britain should pass new laws. The experts believe that smacking is a form of corporal punishment, and that Britain should put an end to corporal punishment.
Britain should also explain to its people how to punish children without hitting them.
Difficult words: mild (not hard), smack (when you hit somebody’s face with your hand), corporal (relating to the human body), punishment (something you do to somebody who has done something wrong to teach them a lesson).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think it is OK to smack your child when he or she is bad?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos