Small baboon at the Bronx Zoo – level 2
A gelada baboon was born last fall and now was unveiled for the first time at the Bronx Zoo in New York. He weighed only 460 grams at birth, but he will reach 30 kilograms as a full-grown adult.
He is America’s first gelada baboon born in 13 years. The Bronx Zoo is the only zoo in America which exhibits these baboons.
They are also known as bleeding-heart baboons for their red patch of skin on their chests. The baboons are special among monkeys because they are graminivorous – they feed mainly on grasses.
Difficult words: unveil (to show something for the first time), exhibit (to show publicly), patch (an area).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like monkeys?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.