Small meerkats – level 3
Five baby meerkats have taken their first steps into the outside world.
All of the pups are full of rough and tumble already with mum and dad having to keep them all in check.
The tiny newcomers made their first public appearance after being hidden away in burrows by their parents since being born last month at Chester Zoo.
Meerkats have four toes on each foot and very long, non-retractable claws to help them dig. Most meerkats live underground in large groups of around 30 individuals, called a gang or a mob.
At the moment, the babies have not been named because keepers don’t know if they’re male or female. These newborns come hot on the heels of other new arrivals at Chester Zoo in recent weeks.
Difficult words: rough and tumble (full of energy), tiny (small), burrow (passage in the ground made by an animal), non-retractable (they cannot hide their claws), claw (animal’s big nail) hot on the heels (right after).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.