Snake in lettuce – level 1
A man from Australia buys lettuce in a supermarket. The lettuce is in a plastic bag. The man brings the bag home. Something is moving inside.
The man and his girlfriend think that it is a worm. Then they see a tongue. They know that the animal is a snake. It is 20 centimeters long.
A hole is in the bag. The snake can get out. The man quickly puts the bag into another plastic bag.
The snake is venomous. It is very dangerous. Officials say that the snake travels 870 kilometers. It gets in the bag in a wrapping factory in another Australian city.
Difficult words: worm (an animal which lives underground and it has no legs), venomous (an animal which bites another animal and kills it), wrapping factory (a factory where people put things in bags or boxes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.