Snake needs help – level 2
A snake in a zoo in Brazil was losing weight. Vets ran some tests and found out that she had a calcified egg in her body. The vets had to perform a life-saving surgery on the 5-metre-long python.
Pythons do not produce venom. Instead, they kill by squeezing the animal with their big, strong bodies. This kind of python lives in Southeast Asia.
The vets cut into the snake’s body near its tail and removed the egg. They also took out 12 underdeveloped eggs. The snake cannot have baby snakes now.
Difficult words: calcified (something that is hard because a lot of calcium covers it), venom (poison), underdeveloped (not ready).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this snake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos