Social media and a suicide – level 1
Molly Russel is 14 years old. She lives in London, UK. In 2017, she kills herself.
Molly has serious problems. Her parents don’t know about the problems. She has depression. A person with depression feels very sad. Sometimes, the person doesn’t think they can get help.
Before Molly dies, she saves many pictures and videos on social media. The pictures and videos are about suicide, depression, and self-harm. After she dies, her father fights for better Internet safety.
Last week, officials say that social media make the girl’s problems worse. Social media make money from young people’s problems. The situation must change now.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.