Social media and a suicide – level 3
In 2017, 14-year-old Molly Russel took her own life after she saw extensive images and videos about suicide, depression, self-harm and anxiety.
An inquest into Molly’s death concluded that harmful online content was a factor in her death. The girl suffered from depression and online content’s negative effects. She saved 2,100 images on Instagram related to depression, self-harm, and suicide.
Since her death, Molly’s father has campaigned tirelessly for better Internet safety, and he welcomed the verdict on Friday. He said that it was time the toxic culprit culture changed at Instagram. He added it was time to protect innocent young people and not allow platforms to make profits from their misery.
Several social media experts and representatives heard the inquest; they said that some of Molly’s posts violated the platform’s guidelines, and some of the content on social media shouldn’t be available for a child to see. According to one of the psychiatrists, the chance was very important to make the Internet safer.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.